Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sock monkey hat pattern

My sister asked if I would make a hat for one of her friends who is expecting a girl and is planing a monkey themed nursery.  Of course I said I would so I headed to pinterest to get inspiration!  This is what I came up with:



I loosly used this pattern: http://knottyknotty.blogspot.ca/2011/03/free-sock-monkey-hat-pattern.html  to make this adorable little Monkey hat.

I didn't think the hat was looking baby sized so I made some changes in the pattern.  The following is what I ended up doing to create this hat:

Size:
0-3 months

Yarn:

Red Heart worsted 4 Medium Purple
Red Heart worsted 4 Buff Fleck
Red Heart worsted 4 Pale Plum

Hook:
G/6-4.25MM

Hat:

Start with Pale Plum.
Round 1: Magic ring (if you have not made one yet here: http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28917.aspx is a good tutorial), 11dc in ring, pull tight, join to first dc, ch2.
Round 2: 2dc in each dc around, join in first dc, ch2. (22dc)
Round 3: (2dc in first, dc in next) around 11 times,  join to first dc, ch2. (33dc)
Round 4: (2dc in first, dc in next 2) around 11 times, join to first dc. (44dc)

Change color to Medium Purple
Round 5: ch1, sc in each st around, join to first sc. (44sc)
Round 6: Repeat round 5.

Change color to Buff Fleck
Round 7: ch2, dc in each st around, join to firsd dc. (44dc)
Round 8-11: Repeat round 7. Fasten off. Weave in ends.


Earflap:

Start with Buff Fleck.  Find center of hat, count out where you would like both earflaps.
Attach yarn to hat.
Round 1: 9dc, ch2, turn. (9sts)
Round 2: dc2tog, dc in next 5 st, dc2tog, ch2, turn. (7sts)
Round 3: dc2tog, dc in next 3  st, dc2tog, ch2, turn. (5sts)
Round 4: dc2tog, dc in next, dc2tog. Fasten off. Weave in ends. (3sts)
Repeat earflap on other side of hat.

Trim:

Attach Buff fleck yarn to hat at end of earflap. sc around in each st, going around earflaps.

Ear and Mouth:

I used the pattern as shown for both the ears and the mouth: http://knottyknotty.blogspot.ca/2011/03/free-sock-monkey-hat-pattern.html

Carefully place ear and mouth and fasten to hat.


Braids:

For the braids I used (2) 24" strings of each color. Folded the bunch in half as attached as if it were a fringe.  I then braided the yarn with each color seperated as a (4) string bunch. Knot at the end and trim the ends.




1 comment: